Friday, September 24, 2010

STORY OF SUICIDES OF MIGRANT WORKERS IN TIRUPPUR

Journey to nowhere

S. DORAIRAJ

in Tirupur and Usilampatti

It is an “out of the frying pan, into the fire” experience for many who flock to Tirupur from across Tamil Nadu.

K. ANANTHAN

The row houses in Tirupur where the migrant workers of the garment industry stay.

K. SUBRAMANIA PILLAI was at the end of his tether. “Around 32 years have rolled by since I came to Tirupur. But I can't see any progress in my life…. The unpaid debt has accumulated to Rs.21,660 as on July 5, 2010…. I have been under severe stress for the past four months as I find no way to clear the debt. I do not want to live any more either, as I am unable to bear the humiliation. All my efforts to find a way out have failed…. I am just commencing my journey without a destination in mind. I have no problem with my children. My humble request is to find a good bridegroom for my youngest daughter,” wrote the 75-year-old man in a note he posted to his son, S. Kaliappan, who lived at S. Periyapalayam on the outskirts of Tirupur. His body was found two kilometres away from S. Periyapalayam a couple of days later.

READ FULL ARTICLE IN


FRONTLINE


( sep 25 to oct 8- 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment